October 22, 2010

As Goes Juan, So Does my Funding

This week’s firing of Juan Williams by NPR solidified my decision of whether to continue supporting public radio with my private donations.  (I won’t be sending a check.)

While Williams’ views may not be popular, they are very much a reality for many travelers.  Here is what he said during a TV discussion with Bill O’Reilly Monday night when O’Reilly said the US was facing a Muslim dilemma:

“I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”

I, too, am guilty of the same.  But that’s a reality based on the known facts that Muslim extremists are continuing to target Americans (and have already killed 3000 innocent Americans on American soil in 2001).  It’s not because I (or Juan) have an issue with Muslims in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being posted. Postings are at the sole discretion of the blog moderator. Anonymous postings are no longer allowed. I encourage your comments, but put you name on the bottom line!