October 18, 2010

Auditor Contribution Allegations Unfounded (Best I Can Tell)

 susan01[1] Since the state audit of Neosho began this summer, I’ve heard a variety of “rumors” about how things are (or are not) being handled by the state auditor’s office.  One that I continue to hear is that a local businessman has contributed significantly to the Montee re-election campaign as a way to have influence over the audit’s findings. 

I’d first comment that state officials probably value their job and reputation a little more than a few dollars in contributions.  Throw in that the Auditor is both an attorney and a CPA, it virtually rules out that such donations could be an influence.  (While I don’t share Ms. Montee’s political views, I absolutely respect her professionally as well as the integrity of the office.)

But to stay with the allegation for a moment, I took a look at the state’s election tracking site tonight to see for myself who, if anyone, had contributed to the Montee re-election campaign. 

After searching for any contributions to Montee of $100 or more from addresses in the 64850 zip code, I found one contribution – Raymond McClelland - $100.  That’s it.  One.  And not to discount Raymond’s contribution, it certainly wasn’t “significant” in terms of what some allege and also wasn’t from the name being alleged.

I then searched for any contributions in the same dollar range for Montee’s opponent Tom Schweich.  I found two contributions – Richard Davidson (that’s me) - $250 and Rudy Farber - $2500.  (I will say I was the only one who gave BEFORE the election believing he was the right guy…but that’s for another day.) 

So if anything has happened, a local business man (or two) have put their money and support behind a candidate OPPOSING the current auditor, not supporting them.

I think the time has come for all of the ridiculous allegations (about me and others) to stop unless you have “proof” of something.  I get so tired of hearing about the illegal activities going on in Neosho.  And to those that still believe it, take it to someone empowered to check it out.  Simply blirting out such comments is just irresponsible. 

If you want to do your own search, here’s the link:

http://www.mec.mo.gov/EthicsWeb/CampaignFinance/CF_SearchContr.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being posted. Postings are at the sole discretion of the blog moderator. Anonymous postings are no longer allowed. I encourage your comments, but put you name on the bottom line!