February 23, 2010

MSSU Board Member Resigns

david-ansley

MSSU board member and Springfield attorney David Ansley resigned yesterday following reports that he (Ansley) used a homosexual slur to describe the schools mascot.  The comment was reportedly made during a board retreat over the weekend.

Ansley has released a statement that reads in part:

“I have always thought of myself as a tolerant man.  Yet the fact that I spontaneously made the comment has caused me pause. Personally, I am conducting introspection. My goal is to examine my own prejudices with the hope of renewed tolerance. I hope to be a better person because of all this.”

Mixed feeling are coming out of this resignation.  Some view it as the right thing.  Others view it as being unnecessary believing society is becoming to ‘politically correct’.

Ansley was appointed to the board in 2004.

Ansley’s letter can be read here.

The Joplin Globe article is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being posted. Postings are at the sole discretion of the blog moderator. Anonymous postings are no longer allowed. I encourage your comments, but put you name on the bottom line!