February 9, 2010

What does that mean?

Being able to write an article and explain a complicated situation can be a challenge.  Unlike TV, readers only have what’s in black and white to create their visual image of the issue.  I sometimes chuckle when things don’t go quite as planned.  Take this quote from today’s Joplin Globe regarding a barn fire.

“Turner said no injuries were reported. Several bales of hay and a backhoe inside the barn burned in the blaze.

The owner of the barn was not fully identified.”

I found the last sentence funny because I started filling in my own reality:

Did he burn up too and they only find a shoe? (That was not the case.)

Did the police report say “barn reportedly owned by someone named ‘Joe’”?

Did a witness say “Well, Bobby had that until the divorce, but I think Doreen got the north half in the settlement.”

Maybe it wasn’t as funny as I thought, but it did make me chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being posted. Postings are at the sole discretion of the blog moderator. Anonymous postings are no longer allowed. I encourage your comments, but put you name on the bottom line!