May 14, 2010

The Words I ‘Thought’ She Would Say

Over the weekend, my daughter was a little puny.  And when she’s not feeling well, she tends to want a little more attention – both by being waited on hand and foot (dad I need water, dad I need food, etc.) and by wanting to be held (she likes to nap laying on my chest and shoulder).

Anyway, at some point Sunday, she was laying next to me in the La-Z-Boy recliner when she said so softly “Dad, can I tell you something?”  My heart filled with pride and I had a momentary out-of-body experience seeing her as she muttered words of love and affection.  I said (as I always do) “Sure, sweetheart.  You can always tell Daddy anything.”

As she took her hand and rubbed her finger around the end of my nose, I heard the sweet little words that will resonate in my mind forever: “You have more hair in your ears than grandpa does.”

The sound of squealing tires echoed in my head as my euphoric moment came to a quick stop.  But before I could show much reaction, her hand slowly sank back to my chest and the quiet, but methodic, sounds of snoring once again filled the air as she fell back to sleep.

I sat there for a moment trying to relive and capture the true meaning of what had just happened.  But I soon smiled and thought to myself, “That’s my girl.  Tell it like it is.”

For the record, I did ask my barber to trim those hairs and the tweezers came out of retirement for some pruning and touchup. 

Oh what kids will say to their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being posted. Postings are at the sole discretion of the blog moderator. Anonymous postings are no longer allowed. I encourage your comments, but put you name on the bottom line!