August 26, 2010

4th Grade Politics

P1012250

From time to time, I get to act in my mayoral capacity and speak to school kids about city government.  Yesterday, I had the privilege to speak to Mr. Daniel’s 4th grade class at Benton.  The hour-long discussion included a number of topics including a talk on how the city operates, the roll of the city council, how the city creates laws, discussions of responsibility, and a Q&A from students about various things related to governance.

It’s one of the most enjoyable aspects of being an elected official and I loved every minute of it.

Here are my favorite questions from yesterday:

“My dad says that the police are never there when you need them and are always there when you don’t.  What does that mean?”

“Are you a republican or a democrat?”

Gotta love ‘em.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being posted. Postings are at the sole discretion of the blog moderator. Anonymous postings are no longer allowed. I encourage your comments, but put you name on the bottom line!