January 26, 2010

Always Need A Good Co-Pilot

IMG00154-20100124-1309

I often say that there are no words that can describe the bond a parent makes with a child.  Until you have kids, you simply can’t appreciate the love a parent can feel.

Every so often, my daughter and I will do things on a father-daughter day.  Sometimes it’s just the two of us loading firewood.  Sometimes it’s just the two of us grabbing a bite at Subway.  But it’s a special time for us to share time together.

A few weeks back, my daughter asked me to take her flying.  As a pilot for 20+ years, hearing my daughter ask to do something that I also enjoy as a hobby is a wonderful thing.

Although the flight didn’t last long, she was a great co-pilot.  And while I pride myself on be precise in my control and operation of the airplane, she’s more interested in quick climbs and decents that tickle her belly like a roller coaster (my late grandfather called those ‘howdy doody bumps’).  She’s also picking up the radio talk quite well, but is still a little shy to say too much.  So far, just a “roger, two niner lima” is the most she’ll put thru the mic, but it makes my smile.  I can even hear the smiles on the other end of the radio when ATC acknowledges that young voice.

So to those parents our there, make sure you spend time making an positive impression on your children.  And remember to enjoy the pride that comes with being a parent.  There's no other feeling like it in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. My son David, a sophomore at Mizzou, took me completely by surprise when he nominated me for an honor at his fraternity. I have concluded that during all those years when you think they're just sitting in the back seat, they're actually watching every move you make, learning and sifting through all your successes and failures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherish and enjoy them as they go by so quickly. It seems just like yesterday I was trying to answer those continues questions about everything. Now he is an adult and I am asking the questions. You are right Richard, being a parent and having those moments are the best thing that ever happened to me.

    David Holley

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated before being posted. Postings are at the sole discretion of the blog moderator. Anonymous postings are no longer allowed. I encourage your comments, but put you name on the bottom line!